The Western ARS Agronomy Field Day will be held July 18th from 9 AM to 3 PM. No charge this year as we are soliciting sponsors to offset that cost. Lunch is included, and we will of course have our in-season updates as well as talk about some on-going research. The location is the Western Agricultural Research Station at 7721 So. Charleston Pike, South Charleston south of I-70 and just west of the Ohio 54 and SR 41 intersection or from the west exit from I-71 onto SR 41, south, drive about 4 miles and you will see the station on the right. The OSU/OARDC Western Agricultural Research Station is one of three agronomy research stations across the state.
Topics and speakers include:
- Keynote speaker: Robert Mullen, Chief Agronomist with Nutrien. Robert has much Ohio and international experience and will share his insights.
- Weed Challenges this Season – Mark Loux
- And back by popular demand is the mode of action weed screen plots. Walk through them and see what happened and why.
- Ohio Soil Fertility Research Update; leading to the new fertilizer recommendations to come out later this season - Steve Culman
- Water Quality and Fertilizer Application Research update; this work is what will bring the new P-Index to Ohio - Libby Dayton
- Precision Planting and Smart Seed Firmers - Alex Lindsey
- Can knowing your organic matter, soil temperature and soil type help you make seed depth decisions at planting?
- Disease and Insect Scouting School – Kelley Tilmon, Anne Dorrance, Pierce Paul, and Andy Michel
- This class to close out the day, will be hands on help for mid-season scouting of insects and diseases. Want to know what else may pop up this summer? You will learn from the experts.
- CCA continuing education credits will be available.
Pre-registration for the field day is required by July 11, 2018. Registration online at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/wars2018, by email to Joe Davlin, email@example.com or Harold Watters, firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information or to register by phone call the farm at 937 462-8016.