The Ohio Pork Council, Brookside Labs, Menke Consulting Inc., and OSU Extension are teaming up to encourage pork producers to learn more about livestock manure and soil sampling by offering discounts on manure sample analysis and soil sample analysis through the end of 2018.
Soil sample bags and manure containers have been mailed to approximately 18 county Extension offices in central and western Ohio. Sample containers are also available by stopping in at Brookside Labs. For pork producers to participate they need to follow these steps.
- Online Survey: All participating pork producers must complete an online survey. If they are unable to complete an online survey they are encouraged to work with their local Soil and Water Office or OSU Extension to complete the survey. The survey is here: http://www.ohiopork.org/soilsample
- Unique Identifying Code (UIC): Within 24 hours of completing the survey, participants will receive an email from Remington Road Group containing a soil sample worksheet with a unique identifying code that qualifies them for the discount with Brookside Labs.
- Appropriate paperwork will also be available online for the participants to print and complete to attach with their manure and soil samples.
- All soil samples must include a swine manure sample to qualify.
- Samples and accompanying worksheets will be delivered by the pork producer to Brookside Laboratories in New Bremen (200 White Mountain Drive) M-F between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm. Appropriate fee will accompany samples when delivered to Brookside (check or credit card). Checks should be made out to “Brookside Laboratories, Inc.”
- Soil and manure test results will be sent to the producer directly from Brookside to the customer’s address. Sample identification on the reports will be a code number that will link the customer to soil tests. Only Brookside Labs will have record of the customer’s identification.
The discounted cost of a soil sample analysis will be $3.00/sample. The discounted cost of a manure sample analysis will be $20/sample. By participating, pork producers agree to allow the Ohio Pork Council to utilize the information provided at their discretion in an aggregated format (no personal or individual farm information).
Tom Menke is serving as a point of contact for individuals who need assistance sampling, interpreting results or questions. For the greatest accuracy, manure samples should be collected when manure storages have been properly agitated and the manure is being land applied.
For more information please contact the Ohio Pork Council at 614-882-5887.