The Certified Crop Adviser (CCA) Exam Training program, delivered by members of the OSU Agronomic Crops Team, will be held virtually for 2021 on January 5, 6, 7 & 8. This is normally an intensive two-day workshop but will be spread across four days this year, beginning at 9:00 a.m. and adjourn by 1:00 p.m. each day. Provided as a great basic agronomy course, it will be used as a reminder on what is best to study in preparation for the local CCA exam.
In addition to the lectures during the class, study material for the program will be shipped to you registrants in advance of the class. Publications provided:
- Ohio Agronomy Guide
- Ohio, Indiana & Illinois Weed Control Guide
- The Ohio Corn, Soybean, Wheat and Forages Field Guide
- 2020 Tri-State Fertilizer Recommendations
- Modern Corn & Soybean Production
- and access to all digital content
Harold Watters, CPAg, CCA
Ohio State University Extension
1100 S. Detroit St
Bellefontaine, OH 43311
Phone 937 604-2415 cell. Or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The price for the exam preparation class is $200.
- Secure on-line registration via credit card, debit card or check is available on the Ohio AgriBusiness Association website: http://bit.ly/OH-CCA-ExamPrep20.
- This is an interactive class, and we will limit class size so register early.
Attendees will be provided publications in advance of the class – closing date for registration is December 21st to allow time for shipping to your address. The Ohio Agri-Business Association, operations center for the Ohio CCA Board, is the registration point and will be accepting payment by credit card or check. Before the date of the class registrants will be provided a link to the Zoom meeting sessions, and access to Box providing the presentations and digital handouts.
- Robert Mullen, CPAg/CCA – Chief Agronomist, Nutrien and past OSU Soil Fertility Specialist;
- Greg LaBarge, CPAg/CCA – Professor OSU Extension and Field Specialist Agronomic Systems;
- Bruce Clevenger, CCA – Associate Professor OSU Extension, Area Leader and County AgNR Educator;
- Harold Watters, CPAg/CCA – Associate Professor OSU Extension and Field Specialist Agronomic Systems.
- Lee Beers, CCA – OSU Extension Educator and Area Leader
Planned schedule for 2021 – subject to change depending on speaker availability.
Tuesday January 5 - 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Crop Management - Harold Watters
Introductions, Basics of the CCA program
- Crop Production
- Crop Physiology
- Variety Selection
Wednesday January 6 - 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Nutrient Management Concepts - Robert Mullen
- Soil pH and Liming
- Primary Nutrients
- Secondary Nutrients
- Nutrient deficiencies
Thursday January 7 - 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Pest Management - Greg LaBarge
Fertilizer & Pesticide Math
Friday January 8 - 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Soil and Water Management - Bruce Clevenger
- Soil Properties
- Soil Water
- Surface and Ground Water
- Soil & Wind Erosion
Local and International Exams will be given on-line in 2021 anytime you choose between February 3rd and the 10th, and again in early August. You can even take the local on one day and the international on a different day. Registation for the February CCA exam closes December 11th: https://www.certifiedcropadviser.org/exams/registration.
- For more information about the CCA program: https://www.certifiedcropadviser.org/about-program
- The CCA exams are not given during the preparation class.
There is a good resource “Preparing for the International CCA Exam” available for purchase from The Fertilizer Institute. The 2019 edition is available: https://store.tfi.org/products/preparing-for-the-international-certified-crop-adviser-cca-exam. This guide is divided into the four categories of the exam: Nutrient Management, Crop Management, Pest Management, Soil/Water Management with subject matter and questions/answers at the end of each chapter. This manual is an excellent study guide for the International Exam. We do not provide this for the class.