Weather is almost always a challenge for agriculture, and good management strategies for dealing with water, weeds, pests, diseases, and stress are all part of being climate-smart.
The 2023 Climate Smart: Farming with Weather Extremes Conference is set for Thursday, July 20, 2023. The event will take place at Der Dutchman located at 445 S. Jefferson Ave in Plain City, Ohio and will run from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM with both breakfast and lunch provided. The event has applied for up to 4 CCA credits.
Ohio State and Central State Extension specialists will gather to discuss these important interactions between weather, climate, and agriculture. Speakers include:
- Weather and Climate Update - Aaron B. Wilson
- Federal Climate Smart Funding Landscape and NRCS – Eric Schwab
- Do "Climate Smart" Ag Practices Improve Resilience to Extreme Weather? Evidence From Crop Insurance - Margaret Jodlowski
- Too Much or Too Little? Water Management Challenges for Ohio’s Row Crops - Vinayak Shedekar
- Central State University Extension and Applied Research in Climate Focus Areas - Alcinda "Cindy" Folck and Sakhi Kumaran
- Panel: On Farm Realities and Responses to Extreme Weather (Marc Amante [CSU Specialist – Specialty Growers and Agroforestry], Glen Arnold [OSU Specialist – Manure], Bridget Britton [OSU Specialist - Farm Stress], Elizabeth Hawkins [OSU Specialist - Precision Ag])
- Insect Pests Under a Changing Climate - Maggie Lewis
- How Weather Risk is Presented in the Crop Market - Seungki Lee
The event is free thanks for the following sponsors: Platinum - Ag Resource Management and Carbon by Indigo; Gold - AgCredit, Leist Mercantile, Ohio Corn & Wheat, and Ohio Soybean Council; Silver – AgPro, Merchants National Bank, W.D. Farms LLC, and Vallery & Dorn Insurance; Vendors – ADM and NRCS. Please register by Tuesday July 18, 2023, at go.osu.edu/reg-climate-smart23 or by using the QR code. Please contact Aaron Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org; 614-292-7930) for any questions.