A field day being held on July 28, Northwest Agricultural Research Station, OARDC, 4240 Range Line Rd. Custar, OH is targeted for those who utilize fertilizer and manure in crop production. Preregistration is due by July 22. Credits offered during the day include Agricultural Fertilizer Applicator Certification and Certified Livestock Manager credits. The programs begin at 9 am and finish by 2:30 pm. Pre-registration is required, with a $15 registration fee that covers lunch. Payment can be made with credit card. Go to https://go.osu.edu/nwnutrientday for details and registration information.
The day will feature:
Field demonstrations that include:
- Equipment for granular fertilizer placement and late season N application to corn.
- Using manure as a nutrient source to replace commercial fertilizer purchases and fully utilize N.
- Nitrogen management will cover pre-sidedress Nitrogen soil test for N, use of NDVI meters in N rate determinations, using maximum return to nitrogen models and late season N applications.
- Phosphorus management will include results of long term P and K studies, reading a soil test report and determining P fertilizer rates.
- Drainage water management recommendations.
- Water quality will include nutrient movement from edge of field results.
Speakers include Steve Culman, Soil Fertility Specialist, Norm Fausey, USDA-ARS Drainage Unit, Harold Watters, Field Specialist and Greg LaBarge, Field Specialist.